Tuesday 11 September 2007

Washington I

Since I have been talking about New York a lot, I would like to take the opportunity to mention about my trip to that state and Washington. This trip was in the beginning of the year after my LAST EVER EXAMS in my life. So my sister and I decided to take a trip to Washington and New York for a mini holiday. It was so cool and nice. The weather has been very good to us and extremely well. You will see why.

Ah yes! Before we left for America, UK was battered with one of the worst gales. London was hit with a hurricane category 1 then and believe me the plane was even shaking on the ground not moving. As we took-off, we dropped slightly and a lot of people screamed. The lady next to me which by the way wasn't exactly skinny grabbed a hold of me. Oh well. One thing you can't beat is Mother Nature.

Anyway, after a 6 hour flight, my adventure begins at the Washington Airport which was slightly different because you would expected to disembark through an aerobridge. However, you get transported by this huge big container and moved to the terminal where the immigration and baggage collection is.

All aboard!!!

Since it was about 7pm after dinner and a heavy one mind you, we walked around Washington since everything is suppose to be nearby.

So what else to see this house at night. :)

After a good rest we started our day to the see the icon of the independence - Capitol Hill. The day was a bit cloudy and quite nice. Not too cold about 0 degrees.



The Rotunda.

The First House of Representatives. This place is so tiny then to fit about 30 states then.

Each state gives 2 statues of any famous people from their states.


Beneath the Rotunda.

Washington Monument there. But I dunno why I look so gloomy. Hmmmmmm.


It's sooooooooooooo big.


Library of Congress. It's just so grand. Even our National Library isn't like that.

The Supreme Court. You know at times you see JAG(TV series) to be in these courts. :P

The Supreme Court itself. 7 judges.

The Oval marble staircase.

After visiting the main attractions in Washington, we headed out to Arlington National Cemetery where you can fit about 400,000 graves of fallen soldiers. Yes. It is huge. I get quite eerie when visiting cemeteries but this was really pretty and tranquil. Everyday, there is about 20-25 funerals which most likely the fallen soldiers from Iraq these days.

J. F. Kennedy's tomb.

The cemetery. Look how big. About 200 acres of graves to be honest.

The changing of the guards. Theses are the war memorials for WWI, WWII, Korean War and Vietnam War for the lost soldiers.

Arlington Amphitheatre.


The view from the highest point of Arlington.

The Pentagon. The most powerful building in the world. I mentioned this before. It is so big that during the attacks on September the 11th, 2/3 of the building was still functioning!!! It is also the biggest land building in the world. Just see the amount of power.

To be honest, we went to the Pentagon but we couldn't take any pictures due to security reason. We would have loved to visit the inside but it seems that all tours has been cancelled due to you know what lah. So, that was a bit disappointing.

The F.B.I Hoover Building. It really exist. :D

- To be continued -

No comments: