Tuesday 11 September 2007

September the 11th


Well, we know what happened 6 years ago. It's the day where we saw a great nation being attacked. I still remember on that day, I was happily watching my Cantonese drama on Wa Lai Toi with my mother and my dad kept running up and down from the bedroom saying that a plane just hit the World Trade Centre. Both of us just brushed him off and we like 'Yea yea. Go watch your news!' So basically, he came up and down 4 times(4 attacks obviously) during that 2 hours of terror.

After a satisfying marathon of those dramas, we flipped watching the news. I still remember Tower 1 collapsing. I was just speechless. Not too short after, Tower 2 collapsing like something being compressed or the engineering term pancaked and that's it. Within 10 seconds, one of the tallest buildings in the world disappeared forever. I visited New York this January and visited the site. It was certainly chilling that there is a 10-storey deep hole in the ground. It just makes me wonder how bad it was when it happened.

The beam of lights where the WTC stood.

But as always, America prevails and perseveres in times of difficulties like Pearl Harbour. I'm not glorifying America is the only one who perseveres in times of crisis but we Malaysia did too during the Communist.

Anyhow, since this is the 6th anniversary, I have seen documentaries about 9/11 and it just makes me think. Innocent people in the building and in the plane dying on the spot. Hundreds stranded up on the top floors jumping to their deaths. Yes jumping out of a 110 storey building. Who would be in that mind to do that. But it was either to be burnt to death or die falling. I can't imagine myself thinking which I would pick.

Then yesterday, Fahrenheit 9/11 directed by Michael Moore shed light on the errors, faults, problems, and conspiracies behind theses attacks. Whether the leader of the country was competent to lead the country. I still remember my Canadian cousin's mentioning the 2001 elections whether would you vote an idiot(Bush) or a liar(Al Gore). Even after mistakes were made and all, the Americans still voted for Mr Bush for a second term by quite a big margin this time. So, can America be wrong? Beats me. I'm sorry I'm not really to concern with politics at the moment.

As for now, may those 2900 lives rest in peace and you shall be remembered.

No comments: